Friday, September 14, 2007

The Great Pink Lemonade Epiphany

The other day one of my colleagues asked if there were pink lemons, you know, that were used to make pink lemonade. Now, I knew I had never seen pink lemons before, but I suppose I had never wondered what actually made pink lemonade 'pink' but I had to admit I didn't know. Come to find out (thank you interwebs) that you can use a bit of grenadine, raspberry, or cranberry juice to change the color. I blame this image for leading people astray. Curse you Country Time!

What reminded me of this otherwise forgettable conversation was our visit to a local Mexican restaurant tonight. Little Girl had loads of fun eating a lemon slice. She would get going on it, scrunch up her face, shiver...and then keep eating it. She probably did the whole pucker / shiver routine six or seven times. When we came home Big Boy said, "I like green lemons better," to which Aimee replied, "Green lemons are called limes." Not missing a beat, he asked, "What do you call blue lemons?"

Grandpa Pederson loved pink lemonade, and lemon heads, and icecream, and a good ol' fashioned bag of sugar and a spoon. I wonder if that's why he didn't have any teeth. But his pink lemonade came in concentrated form.

No comments: