Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Some, The Few, and The Sagging Pants

Some of you may know, well maybe two people that read this know (Can I say some if there are at least two people? I would probably be pushing it to say there are a few of you if there are only two, but some? Somebody help me out here.) Any way, at least one person that reads my blog knows that I like Eric Snider's brand of humor. Well, the following picture and the quote come from his most recent post. I enjoyed it. Perhaps you will, too.

Oh, I have to admit that back in the day I went through a two week period, perhaps three weeks - well, a few weeks...or is it some? no...a few weeks, what was I talking about? Oh yeah. I went through a period of a few weeks when I thought it was cool to sag the pants. I mean, come on! It's me I'm talking about here. Sagging my pants! Well, I'm sure glad I decided to not be lame and cinch up the belt. And see, I have elevated my game all the way to the hallowed halls of Vanderbilt.


That's right: "Pullem' Up." Now, those of you familiar with the rudimentary laws of English grammar and punctuation know that it should say "Pull 'Em Up." The "'em" part is short for "them," and the apostrophe goes in place of the missing letters. Combining "pull" and "'em" into one word and putting the apostrophe after it is what we in the language business call "wrong." (Also: "stupid.") If I were a "gangsta" or a "thug" who wore his pants low and I saw that billboard, I would refuse to comply on principle alone.

No comments: