Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book Larnin' with Big Boy

Big Boy and I have been reading Hop on Pop for about 15-20 minutes every day for the past two weeks...well, nearly every day. It is exciting to watch him sound out words and then learn them by sight. Once a week he meets with other kids in the ward for pre-school. They are teaching them several sight words and it's great to see him recognize them in different books.

I didn't really get reading down well until first grade. This was a bit of an embarrassment since my younger brother was sounding out the newspaper at three years of age. My first grade class had a contest to see how many people could read 100 books. My dad told me that if I read 100 books, he would pay me $100. Folks, this was 1984...that was a lot of money. It still is. (According to some online inflation calculator, that would be just over $200 today.) If I did not reach 100, he would pay me $.50 for each book I read. Any way, with my mom's help I did it. Thanks Mom! Now I read books and write about them as a profession. Crazy.

I'm excited to help Big Boy discover the world of reading. Aimee has been really good at reading with the kids every day for 20-30 minutes. I participate every once in a while, but now that Big Boy is showing interest in learning how to read, I notice that I'm more excited to help him.

3 comments:

Tom Krause said...

And, let's see, with that $100 you bought a GI Joe Hover Craft, or tank, or suthin' else, if'in' I don't disremember. Didn't you also buy a sleeping bag? It was fun watching you blow your money. It's good to blow a wad of dough once in a while.

Jim Jiminy said...

It was a G.I. Joe Hovercraft and a sleeping bag. Great memory. I put $25 in the bank and spent the rest, I think.

Anonymous said...

Is that $25 still in the bank? Had you put it into a low-yield, high-fee bond, you could have had around $36 by now.