Friday, January 2, 2009

Merry Christmas from the Black Lodge

Just like last year, I have put together a mix tape for 2008. Again, just like last year, I have a few comments about each of the songs. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Enjoy!

1. Twin Peaks – Angelo Badalamenti
I vaguely remember when Twin Peaks originally aired. Several years ago Aimee and I became addicted to the series. Early this year I introduced Doug to Special Agent Dale Cooper and I decided to rewatch it. Amazing television, except it falls apart once they discover Laura Palmer’s killer. Few things sound sweeter than a Danelectro with some tremolo.

2. Eloquence – Debra Fotheringham
If you know Debra, you know she is an amazing musician and an amazing human being. This has been my favorite song of hers for years now. She once told me it’s about prayer.

3. Big Eyed Fish – Dave Matthews Band
I have never been into DMB that much. Sure, I like all the radio hits. I downloaded The Lillywhite Sessions awhile ago but it wasn’t until this summer that I finally started listening to it. This song floored me and I’m not quite sure why. The performance is near-perfect and the message is powerful.

4. Say It Ain’t So – Weezer
Ah, how I have enjoyed reacquainting myself with Rivers Cuomo and his cohort.

5. Don’t Let Me Down – The Beatles
This version is from Let it Be…Naked. It blends two or three different versions for the perfect mix.

6. She’s a Jar – Wilco
Still my favorite band. Jeff Tweedy is a poet.

7. Goin’ to Acapulco – Jim Jones & Calexico
I finally got around to watching the Bob Dylan biopic I’m Not There. Now, I’ve given both My Morning Jacket and Calexico a chance and I haven’t been wowed. Needless to say, I really dig this collaboration between Jim James and Calexico.

8. I Can’t Stay – The Killers
Have I told you that there’s a guy in my ward whose brother manages The Killers? Did I also mention that this friend has scored me tickets to their show here in Nashville in January? I’m not quite sure what to think of their new album, but I like the catchy tunes.

9. Take Five – Dave Brubeck
Thanks Kevin for reminding me of how cool Dave Brubeck is.

10. Just Be You – Secily
One of Secily’s coolest songs and it even has trombone. That's her friend Alisha Ard on trombone and I think she sings the harmonies.

11. Ordinary World (acoustic) – Duran Duran
I have always liked this acoustic version. It takes me right back to 1993.

12. (Ghost) Riders in the Sky – Johnny Cash
Don’t ask me why this is here. Hey. I told you not to ask. Just shut up and enjoy the Man in Black.

13. Numb (The Soul Assassins Mix) – U2
This is from Melon, an album of remixes U2 sent out to their fanclub members in 1995.

14. Bugg Superstar – The Smashing Pumpkins
A special treat for you all. Just be thankful I didn't put anything on by The Shaggs. I was sorely tempted.

1 comment:

Jared Blanco said...

Yes, I am waxing quite nostalgic for my best friend foot foot.