One of the defining styles of Portuguese folk music is the fado, characterized by saudade. The most prominent female fadista today is Mariza, hearkening back to the sounds of Amรกlia Rodrigues. Tonight, she will be performing at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center here in Nashville. She is currently on a 45 date tour of North America. I picked up tickets shortly after the tour was announced. Needless to say, we have great seats. Most people do not appreciate the significance of her music, mostly because Americans have a hard time listening to music that is not in English. Now, I may sound like a culture snob, but it is a privilege to participate in such a magnificent event. Learning Portuguese and spending time in Lisbon has enriched my life immensely. Tonight, Aimee and I, along with several friends, will be treated to a piece of Portugal.Rosa Branca

3 comments:
And the winner of the all Portugal Gwen Stefani look-alike contest is . . .
The words of a song are the last thing I listen for. I mostly hear the musical elements, so language isn't that big of a deal to me. I like this stuff. In fact, I've been inspired to listen to Marisa Monte--again. Portuguese? Spanish? Who cares? I just like it!
Just read your last 3 blog entries and tried to listen to some of the A-side Asher songs via the blog porthole. Enjoyed the comments from the kids. (hilarious)
New portrait of you on the left blog side?
Thanks for sharing re: Mariza.
Later...
Post a Comment