Yesterday, I went to Parque do Ibirapuera, a large park in the middle of the city, with Luciene and her two children. We were able to see some interesting exhibits at the Museu de Arte Contemporânea as well as the Museu AfroBrasil, which I just loved. The collection covered a number of themes: religion, community, slavery, abolition, civil rights, literature, as well as the works of a number of famous Afro-Brazilian artists. I was particularly impressed with an overwhelming display of sculptures. I could have spent the entire day there; alas, two little kids can only last so long in a boring museum. I came away with a desire to learn a bit more about the syncretism of Catholicism and various African religious traditions.
After the museum visits we decided to get some lunch at a snack bar in the middle of the park. I was able to check off another item on my to-do list: have a big bowl of açai. (Take away the strawberries and add some granola and it looked about like this.) It was refreshing and delicious. Mmm...I want some more. Ivan came and picked us up from the park and took us home. The kids were upset because we ended up not having time for them to play on the big jungle gym.
That afternoon I finished reading The Feast of the Goat, by Mario Vargas Llosa, and then Ivan and I went to the store to get some goodies in preparation for the Copa do Brasil. There were a few items I needed to purchase in order to make my Brazil experience complete: AdeS soy juice and a delicious orange, carrot, and honey yogurt. We also picked up some pão de quiejo, guaraná, and some cookies for the night's festivities. Luciene had made a delicious chocolate cake earlier that day. I watched the game off and on while making calls to Aimee and the kids as well as Juanita, a friend from Chile.
I also received some good news yesterday. First, barring any unforseen events, I will be teaching SPAN 203, Introduction to Hispanic Literature, in the fall. It is a highly coveted Tuesday / Thursday afternoon slot. Second, the IEB director sent an email informing me that USP professors and employees have ended their strike and that the IEB and its archives would be returning to their normal schedule starting today. As soon as I get some breakfast in my body I will be heading out.
P.S. I also wanted to mention that gasoline here is over US$4.00 a gallon (R$2.30 per liter, 3.79 liters to a gallon). I hope that helps some of you at home feel better about gas prices. We are spoiled in the States.
After the museum visits we decided to get some lunch at a snack bar in the middle of the park. I was able to check off another item on my to-do list: have a big bowl of açai. (Take away the strawberries and add some granola and it looked about like this.) It was refreshing and delicious. Mmm...I want some more. Ivan came and picked us up from the park and took us home. The kids were upset because we ended up not having time for them to play on the big jungle gym.
That afternoon I finished reading The Feast of the Goat, by Mario Vargas Llosa, and then Ivan and I went to the store to get some goodies in preparation for the Copa do Brasil. There were a few items I needed to purchase in order to make my Brazil experience complete: AdeS soy juice and a delicious orange, carrot, and honey yogurt. We also picked up some pão de quiejo, guaraná, and some cookies for the night's festivities. Luciene had made a delicious chocolate cake earlier that day. I watched the game off and on while making calls to Aimee and the kids as well as Juanita, a friend from Chile.
I also received some good news yesterday. First, barring any unforseen events, I will be teaching SPAN 203, Introduction to Hispanic Literature, in the fall. It is a highly coveted Tuesday / Thursday afternoon slot. Second, the IEB director sent an email informing me that USP professors and employees have ended their strike and that the IEB and its archives would be returning to their normal schedule starting today. As soon as I get some breakfast in my body I will be heading out.
P.S. I also wanted to mention that gasoline here is over US$4.00 a gallon (R$2.30 per liter, 3.79 liters to a gallon). I hope that helps some of you at home feel better about gas prices. We are spoiled in the States.

No comments:
Post a Comment