As I was saying, my flight left last Tuesday at 9:50 p.m., or so I thought. Ivan, Luciene, the kids, and I arrived to the airport around 8:00 p.m. The line to check-in was forever long. After about an hour and a half they started checking in our flight. After check-in I made my way to the gate and received my seating assignment. As I boarded the plane, I made my way back to coach and realized that the seating started at row 12. My seat was 6A...in business class. The gods smiled down upon me and blessed me with a free upgrade. It was marvelous; it was the little things that made it special. The selection of nuts, the three course dinner (with ice cream sundae), the feather pillow and thick blanket, the noise-canceling headphones, the toiletries bag. I have never traveled in such comfort and I am afraid I will not be able to go back to slumming it in coach on international flights. The nice thing about the flight delay is that we landed in Atlanta at 8:00 a.m., a reasonable hour, instead of 6:30 a.m.
I needed to get a boarding pass for my flight to Nashville so I made my way to a concourse that had several Delta flights to Nashville. I got my boarding pass, made my way to another concourse, and found out my flight was to be delayed an hour. Not thirty minutes later they announced that the flight would be delayed another hour. At that point, I went up to the gate attendant to see if there were any other flights they could put me on. There was one and it was boarding...in another concourse. I made my way over to that gate and after about ten minutes I saw everybody from my original Nashville flight making their way to the counter. (Apparently, the original airplane needed some repairs so the flight was canceled.) After several minutes, the attendant announced that they had overbooked the flight and they needed several volunteers to take a later flight. They would be compensated with a $400 voucher. Needless to say, I was second in line. (Aimee would understand my being late for $400.) In the end, my flight to Nashville, which was only 40 minutes later, was only half full.
I was happy to be home and Aimee and the kids were happy to have me back as well.
And now on to the dissertation...
I needed to get a boarding pass for my flight to Nashville so I made my way to a concourse that had several Delta flights to Nashville. I got my boarding pass, made my way to another concourse, and found out my flight was to be delayed an hour. Not thirty minutes later they announced that the flight would be delayed another hour. At that point, I went up to the gate attendant to see if there were any other flights they could put me on. There was one and it was boarding...in another concourse. I made my way over to that gate and after about ten minutes I saw everybody from my original Nashville flight making their way to the counter. (Apparently, the original airplane needed some repairs so the flight was canceled.) After several minutes, the attendant announced that they had overbooked the flight and they needed several volunteers to take a later flight. They would be compensated with a $400 voucher. Needless to say, I was second in line. (Aimee would understand my being late for $400.) In the end, my flight to Nashville, which was only 40 minutes later, was only half full.
I was happy to be home and Aimee and the kids were happy to have me back as well.
And now on to the dissertation...

2 comments:
Oh yeah, that pesky adjunct to the whole purpose of your trip. Or is it the other way around?
Your flight sounds fancy. I like how your comments pop up in a box. Neat.
Post a Comment