When U2's latest album, No Line on the Horizon, came out I was immediately struck by the song "Moment of Surrender." Apparently, it was recorded in one take during sessions in Morocco. There are some poetic moments in the lyrics, such as the section I have quoted below.
(Full lyrics)
At the moment of surrender
I folded to my knees
I did not notice the passers-by
And they did not notice me
I’ve been in every black hole
At the altar of the dark star
My body’s now a begging bowl
That’s begging to get back, begging to get back
To my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my unconsciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control

4 comments:
Although I do think those lyrics are indeed poetic, I have to admit that U2's most recent music has left me fairly unimpressed.
I still like it better than Atomic Bomb. There are some nice moments on this album, but I'm one of those weirdos that thinks Achtung, Zooropa, and the Passengers album are their best. I like the experimental U2. I suppose that's because that's the U2 I grew up listening to.
those parts are poetic. How about this?
"I was punching in the numbers at the ATM Machine I could see in the reflection a face staring back at me"
weak. If I wrote those, you would make me delete them. And you would be right to do so.
True, D. But the following lines almost make up for it:
"At the moment of surrender
of vision over visibility
I did not notice the passers-by
and they did not notice me"
I guess what we have here is a very strong poem that has weak spots when as song lyrics.
Post a Comment