This has been an interesting summer. I don’t wish to get into all the details at this point. Let’s just say that there has been a lot of instability, uncertainty, ambiguity, and fear. But, I think that overall it has been a very positive summer. How is that possible? I like the use the analogy of a festering, bloody sore in my arm. I’ve been digging out all the gunk and ick and pouring in antiseptic in order to let it heal. But it has been excruciating as hell. I think, however, that it may be time to put the bandages on and let the sore heal for awhile. What’s the sore? I’m not sure. My marriage, my relationships, my career, my spirit, my sanity. Pick a card, any card and you might be right…
I am ready for a new semester…or at least I think I’m ready. I’m teaching 3rd semester Spanish, a class I have not taught before. I wish I were teaching Portuguese, though.
About three weeks ago there was a power surge through our building. I’m pretty sure I turned off the surge protector before the power came back on. Regardless, our hard drive got funkified. Long story short, it needed to be reformatted. Thanks to Richard – friend and drummer and tech guru – I was able to recover all the data I wanted with a nifty program called R-Studio. Probably the best $50 I’ve ever spent. Any way, the recovery partition on the computer (an HP, which I regret) was inaccessible so I ordered the recovery CDs. They were backordered but finally arrived 10 days later than the 2-day FedEx shipping I purchased. (That reminds me, I need to call them tomorrow to finish the refund process.) The recovery discs worked but I spent the better part of a day deleting all the crap that comes preloaded on these HPs. Ugh. I think I have everything loaded up other than Sonar, the recording software I use for all my musical mayhem needs. That will take a few hours to get set up properly.

No comments:
Post a Comment