School started this week. I am teaching a third semester Spanish language course. As I mentioned previously, this is a course I have not taught in my five years as a language instructor. In many ways it will be challenging, but the nice thing is that these kids can really speak Spanish. Of the class of 12 students, only 3 of them have taken Spanish at this university. The other nine (all girls) are incoming freshman. I am looking forward to this course, though. The text book seems solid and the students are eager to learn.
My Wednesday seminar is a 19th Century Spanish literature course. I am totally and utterly unfamiliar with the texts we will be reading. It will be a challenge, but a welcome one. The course is taught by my adviser / dissertation chair, so I kind of have to take it. My Thursday seminar is taught by a linguist in the department and it is on grant and fellowship proposal writing. It is practical rather than theoretical and it will be a welcome respite since most of the work is reading two books and then actually writing proposals. Finally, my Friday seminar is 20th Century Brazilian Literature. One of my favorite profs is teaching it. She really is great and although she makes us work really hard, she is very understanding since it wasn't too long ago when she was a doctoral student.
This week will be a busy one. I am covering my Portuguese professor's Brazilian Civilization class since she is going out of town to a conference. I have a lot of preparing to do for this week and it is already Sunday afternoon. I think I need to head in to campus for a few minutes to get some books. I thought I was going in yesterday but Aimee needed some time to run some errands.
There is discussion in our family right now that may result in some major temporary changes that will hopefully lead to major long-term changes. Some of the aspects of this plan are a bit scary, but in the end, I think it will be for everybody's benefit.
My Wednesday seminar is a 19th Century Spanish literature course. I am totally and utterly unfamiliar with the texts we will be reading. It will be a challenge, but a welcome one. The course is taught by my adviser / dissertation chair, so I kind of have to take it. My Thursday seminar is taught by a linguist in the department and it is on grant and fellowship proposal writing. It is practical rather than theoretical and it will be a welcome respite since most of the work is reading two books and then actually writing proposals. Finally, my Friday seminar is 20th Century Brazilian Literature. One of my favorite profs is teaching it. She really is great and although she makes us work really hard, she is very understanding since it wasn't too long ago when she was a doctoral student.
This week will be a busy one. I am covering my Portuguese professor's Brazilian Civilization class since she is going out of town to a conference. I have a lot of preparing to do for this week and it is already Sunday afternoon. I think I need to head in to campus for a few minutes to get some books. I thought I was going in yesterday but Aimee needed some time to run some errands.
There is discussion in our family right now that may result in some major temporary changes that will hopefully lead to major long-term changes. Some of the aspects of this plan are a bit scary, but in the end, I think it will be for everybody's benefit.

No comments:
Post a Comment