Here is a mix of songs that have had some sort of importance to me throughout the year. You can download the tracks here. Artwork is included in the folder.1. SUO
This is from the Empire of the Sun soundtrack, one of my favorite movies as a youngster. It wasn’t until last year that I realized that it was a young Christian Bale in the lead role. This song takes me to another place. So beautiful. For the longest time I thought it was Chinese, since the movie starts out in
This past summer I downloaded a stereo reconstruction of the unreleased Beach Boys album SMiLE by the bootleg group Purple Chick. (If anybody wants this collection, let me know and I will get it to you.) Now, “Good Vibrations” was never officially an album track, but because of the time period and studio production style it has been included on this compilation. What makes this bootleg version incredible is that it is a stereo reconstruction from numerous sources. The original was only released in mono. The stereo version just comes alive and sounds so full. It is much easier to appreciate the complexity of the arrangement and the color provided by the instrumentation, not to mention the lush harmonies.
I love this album. This isn’t my favorite song, but I think it captures the magic of these two distinct voices. It is nominated for a Grammy.
4. EVERYDAY – Buddy Holly & The Crickets
One of my favorite songs…and I can’t tell you why.
5. SOMEDAY AT CHRISTMAS – Pearl Jam (
I recently downloaded all of Pearl Jam’s Christmas singles from 1991 to 2006. This is from 2004. Such a fun song.
6. HOUSES OF THE HOLY – Led Zeppelin
Houses of the Holy is my favorite album by the Mighty Zep. Although recorded for that album, this song was released on Physical Graffiti. It just grooves. I have been listening to a bunch of Zeppelin the past few months and this song jumped out as a new favorite.
7. BAAL T’SHUVAH – Michael Hedges
Michael Hedges’s music has played a huge role in my musical formation. He passed away in a car accident ten years ago this month.
8. MERMAID – Flight of the ConchordsAs some of you know, I have been into F to the OTC for several years. I enjoyed every minute of their HBO series. “Are you the answer to a drunken sailor’s lonely wish? Or are you an optical illusion caused by a woman sitting on a rock holding half a fish? Half a sexy fish…” That lyric cracks me up every time.
9. NUDE – Radiohead
Finally! An official version of one of my favorite Radiohead tracks of all time. I have a demo from the OK Computer sessions that is also great, but they have finally captured the magic of this haunting song.
10. IN THE AERO
My great discovery of the year is this band. I wonder what Jeff Mangum is up to. Will he ever produce another album? Who knows? He’s kind of MIA.
11. DEAD MEAT – Sean Lennon
Who knew John Lennon’s son would turn out to be a decent singer and songwriter? I didn’t see that one coming.
12. BETWEEN THE BARS – Elliot Smith
The second great discovery of the year. Man, so haunting and I love the sparse production on this song (and the album Either/Or).
13. ZEITGEIST – The Smashing Pumpkins
So, the Punkins reunited. I mean, Billy and Jimmy reclaimed the name and put together a new touring line up. I saw them at the Ryman Auditorium and sang to the classic songs. I bought two of the eighteen different special rare editions of the album. I listened to the album over and over. I tried to like it. I really tried. I even downloaded live shows and live DVDs…Oh how I wanted to like my favorite band from my youth. Oh how I tried…
…this song ain’t bad.
I dig the Vedder in the solo format. I didn’t know he could rock out a mandolin. Eddie wrote this album as the soundtrack to Sean Penn’s new movie. Eh…don’t really care to see it.
Ah…Nick Drake was one of my greatest discoveries ever. I love it when I happen upon a great artist all by myself. Well, that’s not entirely true. His name kept coming up in acoustic guitar magazines. When I downloaded the album Pink Moon and heard the title track, I said, “Hey, that’s on that one Volkswagen commercial!”
…
Aimee and I had our eighth wedding anniversary in August. Eight years is a long time. These last five songs are what we could designate as “relationship songs.” You can read into them what you would like. I will say that the Dylan song could be me singing to Aimee or she singing to me… I’m not sure I can quite explain it, but on the Platonic plateau of idealistic perfection…we’re probably not meant for each other. It’s a good thing that she and I try to live in reality as much as possible. Otherwise, we probably wouldn’t have made it this long.
17. HATE IT HERE – Wilco
18. IF NOT FOR YOU – George Harrison (Bob Dylan cover)
19. IT AIN’T ME BAB E – Bob Dylan
20. A SHOT IN THE ARM – Jeff Tweedy

No comments:
Post a Comment