Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring Break is Over

This past week was Spring Break at Vanderbilt. Other than the Wilco show on Sunday, and going to the zoo on Monday, I did not do much. I watched a few movies: Michael Clayton, Paris, je t'aime, Amazing Grace, Across the Universe, and Waitress. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and comment on some of them.

The point is, I didn't get much done. I had a stack of compositions that I didn't get to until last night. I'm glad I finally sat down and plowed through them. I don't mind grading when I'm doing it, in fact I quite enjoy it. I like seeing my students progress through out the semester. Sometimes they really tick me off because some seem to regress. Seriously. I have had students that mess up on things that they knew at the beginning. I'm not sure why that happens in language learning.

I also should have been working on my dissertation proposal. Well, I kind of worked on it and I worked a bit on my reading list...but the point is, I did not do as much as I needed to do. And now I've spent most of the evening watching snippets of Wilco DVDs I've downloaded. (Man, I can't get enough of this band.)

I've told a few of you, but I'll be going to Utah for most of June for mainly two reasons:

1. Go camping with Dad.

2. Record with "The Band," whatever the hell we're calling ourselves. (Asher is no more since Ben isn't continuing on with us.) We've been calling ourselves File Transfer Protocol since that is our principle means of exchanging files. What do you think?

3. See other friends and family. (Okay, so there are three reasons.)

Richard's family owns a house in Alton, UT and we're going to take all our crap, set it up, and make lots of effing noise for a week. We are going to record that effing noise in hopes to produce another effing album. Let's hope it doesn't take effing four effing years to effing release the next effing album. (In case you haven't been following the ever-revolving line-up of Asher, Richard is our drummer. In fact, HE IS OUR DRUMMER!!! I have to yell that out with enthusiasm because the last drummer we had lasted for only a few months. I wonder what Matt-tt is up to. But I digress in my digression.) The point is...what is the point? The point is that I need a bit of a boost before I get neck-deep in dissertation work.

Mantra: I just need to get through the semester, I just need to finish my proposal, I just need to get through the semester, I just need to finish my proposal...

...Ah, peace, tranquility, sleepiness.

Time for bed.

1 comment:

Doug said...

File Transfer Protocol? BRILLIANT!