Monday, March 3, 2008

Wilco at the Ryman

[The following post is a modified version of a review that I wrote on a Wilco forum.]

Last night was an amazing show. This was my second time seeing Wilco. I'm certainly a latecomer to the whole Wilco scene but as I've said before, they are the only band that makes me feel as excited about music as I was 15+ years ago. This was my second show at the Ryman and Aimee's first. We were in the second to last row, but dead center in section five. Can I just state for the record that the sound was incredible?

Any way, a few personal highlights:

"Via Chicago" - What an opening. Just spectacular. Aimee said this song spooked her when she first heard it in Louisville, but it has really grown on her. We were both surprised that they would open with it, but Wilco certainly asserted their presence on the Ryman stage from the first note.

"Blood of the Lamb" - I never thought I'd hear this live. The clarinet was breathtaking, although it was a bit quiet in the mix.

"Pieholden Suite" - Very nice with the horns.


"Company in my Back" - I wanted to hear this or "Hummingbird." I was not disappointed.

"Pot Kettle Black -> A Shot in the Arm" - these are the two songs that helped me go from interested listener to dedicated fan. It was amazing to hear everybody singing along to "Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm." After Shot, I leaned over to Aimee and said, "It would be great if they played 'She's a Jar' now." And then they did! I about peed myself with excitement.

"Hate it Here -> Walken" - I enjoyed the SNL performances the night before, and I think they work well together. This time Tweedy grabbed his hair with both hands. I couldn't help but laugh at how it looked standing straight up. Again, I amazed Aimee by leaning over and saying "Now they're going to play 'Walken.'" "How do you know?" "Oh, by the guitar they are bringing out for Tweedy."

We all shared a quiet, intimate moment when Jeff came out and played "Someone Else's Song" without the PA.

"Misunderstood" - Tweedy tapped into something that pushed this song to borderline eerie. The ghostly-white spot light on his face - that reminded me of flashlights and campfires - firmly established the atmosphere of the disconcerting message of the song. I can't wait to see/hear this performance again.

Hearing both "The Thanks I Get" and "The Late Greats" was unexpected.


Other highlights:
- I can't remember which song, but Glen starting hitting his sticks together to count in the band and then Jeff would interrupt him and say something into the mic. Jeff did it enough times that the repetition of the action was what drove the comedic moment.

- Pat's guitar strap fell off on "Handshake Drugs," I believe. It was great to see the guitar tech come out and fix it...Pat's such a rock star. His usual posing and strutting on "I Got You" and "Monday" just added flame to the 70's rock star fire, although I didn't see any Townsend windmills.
- Aimee loved how Nels would kick his feet while playing the lap steel. She also commented on his gyrations as he would play with the feedback, swinging his guitar to and fro, in front of the amp.

Well, it was a great show in a great venue with great fans. But I just can't understand some people. We made our way outside and there was some guy sitting on the steps talking on his cell. He was really upset, telling his friend how horrible the set list was and that the performances were total crap. What? I certainly hope he was talking about some other show because he couldn't possibly have been talking about one of the best concerts I've ever seen...I just don't get some people.

No comments: