Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fundamentalism

I recently read a broad definition of fundamentalism that has little to do with religion and more with worldview.

“A fundamentalist is a person who considers whether a fact is acceptable to their faith before they explore it.”
- Seth Godin

You can watch a video clip here. You can learn more about him here.

So, John Dehlin, one of my new favorite people I'll be telling you about later, poses these questions:
  • Does Mormon culture encourage, or discourage curiosity?
  • Does the LDS church leadership encourage, or discourage curiosity?
  • Is the average Mormon curious?
  • Is the average Bloggernacler curious?
I would really like to read your thoughts on the subject. I'm hoping to provide some more engaging posts that encourage people to reply. I really am interested in your perspectives.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Does the LDS church leadership encourage, or discourage curiosity?

I tend to think that the church leadership encourages curiosity, so long as it isn't too much and it's the right kind. Also, sharing what you learn is only acceptable if it's within the realm of a "faith-promoting experience".

At least, that's been my observation.

The Mighty Thunder Chicken said...

What she said.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about this more to give a better answer. More to come... Sabio