Once I finish grading this stack of final exams, which I should have done this weekend, and once I submit grades....I'll be done for the summer! Yippee!!! I still have loads of work. Here are some highlights, in no particular order:
- I took an incomplete in a class last semester, so I still need to research and write the final paper for that.
- My dissertation proposal is in its final stages. I hope to finish that up this week.
- Along with the proposal is my dissertation reading list. Once I have it approved I will be reading or re-reading about 100 books over the next four months or so. Ah yeah!
- At the end of May, I am attending a week-long seminar on Teaching Difficult Texts. It is part of a series through the Ethics program on "Pedagogy of the Difficult." I get paid $700 to learn. I mean, can you beat that?
- For those of you that don't know, I will be the househusband for most of the summer. On Monday, Aimee started a new position as a personal trainer at the YMCA. At first we were a little bummed that she didn't get a job at the one closest to our house, but the one where she is working is in a nice, ritzy area. As people limit their luxuries this summer - personal training being one of them - I get the feeling that the people that go to this particular YMCA won't be hurting too much. They may feel the pinch when the fill up their Escalades. Any way, I'll be watching the kids and doing housework while Aimee is at work. I'm really looking forward to it.
- I will be in Utah from June 3 - 24. I've talked about this in previous posts. Hopefully I will be able to see some, if not all, of you that frequent this blog.
- The other thing I hope to continue this summer, is my foray into Mormon Studies. I'm reading Richard Bushman's Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling and Grant Palmer's Insider's View of Mormon Origins. I think my focus will be the various accounts of the First Vision and issues surrounding the translation of the Book of Mormon. I really look forward to learning more about some of the fundamental aspects of my belief system. As time and desire permits, I will post about my readings here.
In other news, we are finally out of our house. It took a lot more work to clean the apartment than either Aimee or I thought. Now, it is time to get our house in order. We still have junk that needs to find a home.

1 comment:
I took a class at BYU (LDS Literature) where we studied the different versions of the Joseph Smith vision. It was interesting in terms of genre studies (the professor showed various accounts from the period and showed how Joseph Smith struggled with translating his experience into words) and was a faith promoting experience. We should talk.
Also, I want to read Rough Stone Rolling when you're done.
Post a Comment