Sunday, August 10, 2008

On the Road to Damascus

A few weeks ago, a songwriter in our ward named Shane Adams played a beautiful song he had composed about Saul's conversion. That reminded me that in December of 2002 I had written and recorded a song called "On the Road to Damascus" for a New Testament class at BYU. If I recall correctly, I was getting at A- , but my professor loved my final project so much he bumped me up to an A. What a nice guy. This is probably the closest I've ever come to writing an EFY song.

Since it is a beautiful Sabbath morning here in Nashville, I thought I would post this song and the lyrics. Enjoy!

(The Conversion of St. Paul - Caravaggio)


On the Road to Damascus

On the road to Damascus I wondered if
My life was unclear
The martyr's last prayer and the children's cries
Stirred in my soul great fear

And then came a light and a powerful voice
The vision was quite clear
I had caused great pain to the saints of the Lord
But salvation was so near

Oh Lord, Thy will be done
Although I may not understand
Oh Lord, I will be Thy son
And I will follow Thy hand

For three days and nights I neither ate nor drank
My sight was taken from me
But as he lay his hands upon my head
I felt my strength restored

He said, "Thou art God's chosen son
To be a witness to this world.
Why tarriest thou? Arise and be baptized
And wash away thy sins."

Oh Lord, Thy will be done
Although I may not understand
Oh Lord, I will be Thy son
And I will follow Thy hand
I will obey Thy command
And hope and pray
I will return home someday

No comments: