Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Am Not Ready For This

I'm not planning on going on the job market until next year. I haven't even taken my qualifying exams. So why do I keep applying for jobs this year? Well, in all fairness this is only the second job to which I am applying. This one is at the U of U:
Assistant Professor of Portuguese

The Department of Languages & Literature at the University of Utah invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor. We seek a specialist in Portuguese language and Brazilian Literature/Culture. Principal teaching responsibilities will include language courses at the undergraduate level and upper division courses in area of specialty. We are particularly interested in candidates whose interests are interdisciplinary and transnational and can contribute to our Latin American Studies Program as well as our Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies Program. Near native fluency in Portuguese and English is required. Teaching load is two courses per semester. Ph.D. is required by time of appointment.
I really like that it is a 2-2 teaching load. Very nice. I think the U is looking to expand their Portuguese program. I actually know the language instructor that is currently teaching. She and I were at BYU at the same time getting our MAs. It would be great if I could line up a job. All I would have to do is finish (and start) that pesky dissertation.

2 comments:

Doug said...

wow, sounds like a perfect fit. Hey, the U is even closer to logan than the Y!

The Mighty Thunder Chicken said...

Eh, finish it first, then you can start it later. Make it easier on yourself that way.