Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sí, se pudo - Yes, we did

President-elect Barack Obama is the first presidential candidate with whom I have felt an emotional connection. Throughout this election, Obama’s speeches, debates, and platform resonated with me deeply. When Obama won Ohio last night, I knew he had won the election. Although Tennessee went to McCain, it was reassuring to see that our county voted for Obama.

This afternoon I feel great pride in my country. I feel a sense of hope. I consider myself a world citizen, which is one of the main reasons I voted for Obama. I believe he has the capacity to be a capable and effective leader on the international stage.

It is an historic moment for us as a nation and as part of Western Civilization to elect an African American as our president. Even if you disagree with his policies and ideals, can you not appreciate the historical significance of this moment? I truly hope my children will grow up in a country where racism is part of the past. Perhaps that is wishful thinking, but I believe that as a people we have shown maturity. We have grown.


Now, what I truly hope my children and grandchildren will see is the appointment of a non-white Apostle.

No comments: