Hello gang. I really need to get back to writing my exam, but it's so hard after stopping around 8:00 PM on Saturday and then doing nothing all day yesterday. Big Boy is sick today...fever and sore throat. I hope I don't catch it but we're so loving in our family we share everything.
Yesterday I had a lovely chat via Facebook with my wonderful friend Secily. This next fall we will have known each other for ten years. Ben, Doug, and I were looking for a drummer for Asher and somebody in Ben's apartment complex said their cousin played. I remember giving Sess a phone interview, asking whether or not she could play jazz (the best drummers are jazz drummers), and like a good musician she lied through her teeth to get the gig. We were lucky to have her since she is probably the most talented multi-instrumentalist I've had the privilige to play with.
From the ashes of Asher (pun fully intended) rose the phoenix of Basil. (I really should put up all the old Basil tracks.) Basically it was Secily, Mandi Wilks, and Aimee Krause on vocals and guitar with Seth Wilks, me, and a revolving line-up of percussion players (Ryan Williams, Kevin Jackson, Matt Waldron, Dallin Laycock, and once we even had Bart Olsen of Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band play on a song). I think we played around 30 gigs in an eight month period. It was a lot of fun until the drama started.
After Basil, Secily invited Kevin and me to come up with some bizarre music to open the very first Monkeygrinder show. It was three guitar players and a drum sampler. People really dug us. I have video footage of that performance that someday we'll edit. It was a lot of fun. That performance turned into The Solar Project, which wasn't quite as fun as Basil, but it's all water under the bridge now. Let's just say I didn't make the best judgment call. Kevin and I ended up recording some of those Solar Project songs, which evolved into Mindless Philosophers.
One of the songs that came out of The Solar Project days was one Secily wrote called "Lies." I really think it rocks. We recorded most of it at my place and then Kevin and Secily did some production work up at his place. I have to say that I think the song turned out really well with all the Indian instruments and Secily's awesome harmonies. It's been a long time since I've listened to this song so I thought I would share.
Lies
Oh, and make sure to check out Secily's band in LA, Ladysugar.
Yesterday I had a lovely chat via Facebook with my wonderful friend Secily. This next fall we will have known each other for ten years. Ben, Doug, and I were looking for a drummer for Asher and somebody in Ben's apartment complex said their cousin played. I remember giving Sess a phone interview, asking whether or not she could play jazz (the best drummers are jazz drummers), and like a good musician she lied through her teeth to get the gig. We were lucky to have her since she is probably the most talented multi-instrumentalist I've had the privilige to play with.
From the ashes of Asher (pun fully intended) rose the phoenix of Basil. (I really should put up all the old Basil tracks.) Basically it was Secily, Mandi Wilks, and Aimee Krause on vocals and guitar with Seth Wilks, me, and a revolving line-up of percussion players (Ryan Williams, Kevin Jackson, Matt Waldron, Dallin Laycock, and once we even had Bart Olsen of Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band play on a song). I think we played around 30 gigs in an eight month period. It was a lot of fun until the drama started.
After Basil, Secily invited Kevin and me to come up with some bizarre music to open the very first Monkeygrinder show. It was three guitar players and a drum sampler. People really dug us. I have video footage of that performance that someday we'll edit. It was a lot of fun. That performance turned into The Solar Project, which wasn't quite as fun as Basil, but it's all water under the bridge now. Let's just say I didn't make the best judgment call. Kevin and I ended up recording some of those Solar Project songs, which evolved into Mindless Philosophers.
One of the songs that came out of The Solar Project days was one Secily wrote called "Lies." I really think it rocks. We recorded most of it at my place and then Kevin and Secily did some production work up at his place. I have to say that I think the song turned out really well with all the Indian instruments and Secily's awesome harmonies. It's been a long time since I've listened to this song so I thought I would share.
Lies
Oh, and make sure to check out Secily's band in LA, Ladysugar.

1 comment:
I listened to most of "Lies." At first I thought it was the orchestra tuning up. Then, I started swaying to the music and Secily's voice. Such musical talent....
Post a Comment