2006 and 2007 were good years for songwriting. I wrote a total of 59 songs in that period, a dozen or so in collaboration with Doug. I only wrote eight songs last year, but one of those is going on the new album so it's all worth it. It seems that once the end of an album is in sight, I start writing like mad. This happened with To the Face of the Sun and with the Sides project. You have to realize that for every ten songs I write, only two or three are worth considering for a full band production. Even though most of my songs will not be recorded with the band, I let Doug listen to almost everything I write because I've been known to consider some of my best work as throw-away songs ("Taking its Toll," for example).
As some of you know, last summer I spent a week recording with Doug and Kevin in Salt Lake and Logan. We recorded guide tracks for eight or nine songs. Once we have a solid demo recorded to a click track, we record bass and drums. With the rhythm section in place, we go back and record guitars, vocals, etc. I'm not a big fan of recording, to be honest; what I really enjoy is the mixing process. I feel that is where my true talent comes in to play.
Getting back on topic...the point of this post is to inform my readership that we have started work on the next album. We hope to have all the principle recording done by the end of the summer. We may not release the album until next year, but at least we are moving forward. I can't tell you how exciting it is to be playing again. Hopefully I will be able to put up some demos of the new songs, but we may be keeping everything under wraps until it's all done. We shall see.
As some of you know, last summer I spent a week recording with Doug and Kevin in Salt Lake and Logan. We recorded guide tracks for eight or nine songs. Once we have a solid demo recorded to a click track, we record bass and drums. With the rhythm section in place, we go back and record guitars, vocals, etc. I'm not a big fan of recording, to be honest; what I really enjoy is the mixing process. I feel that is where my true talent comes in to play.
Getting back on topic...the point of this post is to inform my readership that we have started work on the next album. We hope to have all the principle recording done by the end of the summer. We may not release the album until next year, but at least we are moving forward. I can't tell you how exciting it is to be playing again. Hopefully I will be able to put up some demos of the new songs, but we may be keeping everything under wraps until it's all done. We shall see.

No comments:
Post a Comment