Aimee and I do not make that big of a deal out of Valentine's Day, but I saw this questionnaire on A-L's blog and I thought it would be a fun post. This is my favorite picture of Aimee, looking down on the two-story cloister at Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon. So sexy. (After you read the following, you can read Aimee's side of the story. In fact, you better go read it since she corrects aspects of my otherwise perfect memory.)How long have you been together?
Almost ten years. We started dating at the end of April 1999.
Where did the two of you meet?
We were both serving in the Coyhaique zone in the Chile, Osorno Mission. Our areas bordered each other. The sisters actually lived in our ward, and we lived in their ward.
What was the first thought that went through your head when you first met her?
Is she albino? My companion, Elder Ortega, and I were friends with her companion (Hna. Alza) and we stopped by to say hello to Hermana Sanders. Aimee was sick and we just peeked into their room to say hello. She was pale, with short blonde hair. Within the context of the various shades of brown to dark brown hair in Chile, her hair looked extremely light. Needless to say, it was not love at first sight.
Do you remember what she was wearing?
We were officially introduced later, at a church meeting or zone meeting, I suppose. No, I do not remember what she was wearing. I was not paying much attention but I am confident she was wearing a skirt.
Who asked whom out?
I asked her out even before her mission ended. Before she came home I sent her a letter saying we should get together. I couldn’t remember when exactly she was coming home, so I called her parents, spoke with her father, and found out she was coming home in a week or two. When they picked her up from the airport, my father-in-law playfully elbowed her in the ribs and said, “A boy called you.” She only held out several days before calling me. We went out soon thereafter.
When was the first time you realized you liked her?
Hmmm…the appropriate answer would be after the mission, right? The truthful answer would be that I started to like her on the mission although I did nothing to show it. She had a beautiful voice and I always enjoyed chatting with her when we did zone service projects. As far as seeing us getting married, it happened soon after we started dating.
Where was your first date?
She drove up to my parents place in Kearns. We were originally going to go dancing with a Chilean friend from work, Danilo. He never showed up or called, so we went and got dinner at a Mexican restaurant on Redwood Road and 5400 South. I think it was called Jacinto’s or Jaliscos, but it is no longer there. [Ah, go read Aimee's version now...I forgot a few pertinent details.]
How long did you know each other before you started dating?
Well, without making Aimee dig through her mission journals, we think she arrived to Coyhaique in late April or early May of 1998. That would mean we started dating roughly a year later.
Where was the first time you kissed?
The first attempt at a kiss, or the first reciprocated kiss? I tried to kiss Aimee in her living room one night, but…let’s just say she got shy. (She had never kissed a boy before.) Our first real kiss was in the parking lot of the Jordan River Temple.
How long did it take to get serious?
Two weeks? A month? We took a drive up Provo canyon on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend and we both felt confident that we could make it together as a couple, although we did not talk about it until a day or two later.
How did you propose to her?
We decided to go to the temple together that Wednesday and reflect on the idea of getting married. Sitting in the Celestial Room, being the romantic I am, I said that I could probably suck a hole through an Altoid if she wanted a ring right then. Once we got out to the car, I said that if we were going to be engaged we would have to start kissing. It did not take her long to become an amazing kisser.
Do you have any children together?
Yup. Two. A 5 year-old boy and a 3 year-old girl.
Pets?
Not yet, but we want to get a black lab and a cat once we’re in a house. I also really want a German Shepherd.
Did you go to the same school?
Yes. She finished up her associates at UVSC and transferred to BYU. I finished my BA and started my MA while she finished her BS. I have fond memories of eating lunch together and studying in the library.
Are you from the same home town?
No, but she’s from Orem and I am from Salt Lake. I still find it amazing that although our parents lived about 35 miles from each other, we had to travel just under 7,000 miles to meet each other. It makes for a nice story, I suppose.
Where do you eat out most as a couple?
There is a local Mexican joint called El Rodeo that we like since we can feed the whole family for around $15.
Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
In December 2001 we returned to our mission before spending a semester in São Paulo, Brazil. Although we had originally planned on going to Punta Arenas, we ended up only getting back to Coyhaique and Puerto Aysen.
Who has the worst temper?
Me. Totally. Although Aimee can throw a good tantrum now and then, but it's usually my fault.
Who does the cooking?
I think it’s about even when we actually cook, but some nights its sandwiches or cereal. Maybe Aimee cooks a bit more than I do.
Who is more social?
I am by nature, but Aimee is a great conversationalist one-on-one.
Who is the neat-freak?
Ha! Aimee likes to be organized—and she’s actually good at organizing—its maintaining the organization that seems to be a challenge. I have a higher threshold of living in messiness than she has.
Who is the more stubborn?
Oh, I think we’re probably even on this one; although, she would undoubtedly say that I am more stubborn. Eh…maybe she’s right.
Who hogs the bed?
Guilty, once again. Aimee goes to sleep in one spot and stays that way the entire night. If the kids come into bed, which they usually do as some point in the early morning, then they take over the bed.
Who wakes up earlier?
Aimee does because of her early training appointments. There have been periods, however, when I got up earlier. I guess whoever needs to get up earlier gets up earlier. I guess I also usually get up earlier on the weekends. For example, I woke up at 6:40 this morning even though I didn't get to sleep until 12:30.
Who has the bigger family?
I have four brothers and she has a brother and two sisters.
How do you spend the holidays?
With our children. Aimee’s parents flew out here one year.
Where do you see each other 15 years from now?
Do I really have to think that far ahead? I will be deep into my career as a tenured university professor and I’m guessing Aimee will have gone back to get her MS and she’ll be doing something with that. We will live in a modest home, with a couple of dogs and fruit trees and a garden and we’ll travel to a new place every year.

No comments:
Post a Comment