Thursday, February 12, 2009

Playing Catch-up

A lot has happened since taking my exams (and at the same time, a whole lot of nothin' has happened.) The day after my birthday, Monday, February 2, we celebrated having some friends over for cake and ice cream. I spent most of that week recovering from the examination onslaught by avoiding anything that resembled work. On Saturday, I went with about thirty other guys (okay, 28 guys and 2 gals) up to Morgantown, KY to help clean up fallen trees and debris from a massive ice storm. It was fun. I was thoroughly sore and tired when we came home but it was nice to get out and do something for somebody else for a change. I'm afraid my life is so self-centered, or at least centered on my family, that I tend to forget that there are other human beings out there.

Yesterday, the power went out mid-morning. It was extremely windy and apparently a power line pole snapped about 1/2 a mile from our neighborhood, which Aimee saw as she drove home after her morning appointments. Without the life-sustaining necessities of television and internet, I decided to take the family out to lunch. After some nice comfort food at Loveless Cafe, and after taking the recycling out and briefly stopping at Toys R Us, we returned home with the power restored.

Today, I am teaching one of my professor's classes. He is evaluating me to see if I am ready to teach literature courses on my own. I shadowed a similar course a year and a half ago, but the professor said I needed more practice teaching literature before I could get my own literature course. Um...okay, how am I supposed to get practice if I don't get to teach? I explained the situation to this current professor and he saw the idiocy of the other professor's illogic. He just wants to see me teach once or twice so he can give me his full endorsement.

I also have about 200 pages of reading I need to do for my linguisitcs class. We have a mid-term next week and I have about three weeks worth of catching up to do. I really wish I didn't have this class, but I guess it's my own fault for not taking it two years ago. Sigh.

Tomorrow is the oral portion of my doctoral exams. I believe I already talked about the nature of this process. Basically, if they liked my written exam then we'll sit around for an hour or so talking about how awesome my dissertation will be. If they did not like my exam, however, then they will hammer me into the ground for two hours. I am confident that I will pass with flying colors and not with flaying colors of sanguine flesh as they beat me to a pulp. In any case, any positive thoughts or prayers will be appreciated.

Seacrest out.

No comments: