Even though I am ABD I still have one class to finish up. It's called Romance Philology, which is basically the history of the Spanish language. We have also looked at the various languages and dialects that have developed in the Iberian Peninsula over the centuries. I find the information quite fascinating but linguistics can get pretty boring pretty quickly.One day I wore a Beatles tie to class and my professor commented on it, telling the story of when he saw them on Ed Sullivan. Then we launched into a discussion on the merits of The Byrds, but only during the tenure of David Crosby. This last Thursday was his birthday--my professor's, not Crosby's--which he made a point of mentioning the previous week. I thought we as a class could pitch in and I would go to the mall and get him a Beatles tie. (Now, it never hurts to grease the wheels a bit, right?) My grand plan, however, involved Aimee. She rarely likes to be involved in such schemes so I asked her what I would have to do to get her to go to the mall with me, drop me off at campus, and then go home. She said, "I'll go if you buy me a pair of leather boots." I jokingly replied, "okay," knowing full well I didn't have the money to buy the kinds of boots she wanted. And away we went.
Although there was a kiosk that sold ties, we could find not one strip of cheap polyester emblazoned with the visage of the Fab Four. They did, however, have a wide assortment of Jesus ties, thus proving that The Beatles are not bigger than Jesus--at least not at Opry Mills in Nashville, TN. My sure-fire back-up plan was to go to this store that sells all kinds of nostalgic crap...Elvis oven mitts, Rolling Stones tongue tea sets, Fritz the Cat bib overalls, and Betty Boop pregnancy tests. Alas, the stores of numerous knick-knacks were vastly depleted--another victim of the current state of the economy. The store was having a liquidation sale and all that remained were several baubles and doo-dads that one would expect to find at up to 80% off. I gave up my quest and settled for an inoffensive Hallmark card that took a playful jab at growing old. God bless Hallmark's writers of witticisms.
As we were leaving the mall, we stopped by Off Broadway Shoes. There, Aimee found the perfect pair of those sexy leather boots that go up to the knee. The price was right and I bought them for her. Ever since Aimee and I separated our accounts, I have taken great pleasure in buying her gifts. I think she takes great pleasure in it, too.
U2 even wrote a song about sexy boots.
As we were leaving the mall, we stopped by Off Broadway Shoes. There, Aimee found the perfect pair of those sexy leather boots that go up to the knee. The price was right and I bought them for her. Ever since Aimee and I separated our accounts, I have taken great pleasure in buying her gifts. I think she takes great pleasure in it, too.
U2 even wrote a song about sexy boots.

No comments:
Post a Comment