Last night, Aimee and I attended the much-anticipated sold out show of The Flight of the Conchords. As you may recall, I was introduced to FotC several years ago via the film Tongan Ninja. (Hopefully I'm not turning into one of those guys that constantly brags about how he heard of the band before they got wicked huge.) We had great seats, the best I've had at the Ryman. They were right under the balcony on the main floor, about seven rows back. Jemaine and Bret were very entertaining with their self-deprecating humor and witty banter with the audience. At one point they poked a bit of fun at southern accents and then invited the audience to do impressions of the kiwi accent. Somebody from the balcony did a spot-on Murray saying, "Play another song, Jemaine," to which Jemaine replied, "Not only a great impression, but a great suggestion." They played two songs I had not heard before: "The Ballad of Stana," which is a new favorite, and "The Bus Driver Song." I was glad they played "Albi, the Racist Dragon," which is what I really wanted to hear. "Hurt Feelings" went over really well. The perrenial favorite "Business Time" was good, but not great. It was hard to discern the bassline since Jemaine's guitar was mixed a bit quiet. On several songs they invited their friend Nigel out to play cello. They referred to him as the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra. The cello was a nice touch to the songs. Overall it was a hilarious show. Kristen Schaal, who plays Mel on the show, opened with a stream-of-consciousness comedy act. Although the audience seemed to eat it up, I was not impressed with her act.The setlist:
- Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor
- Albi, the Racist Dragon
- The Most Beautiful Girl
- Hurt Feelings
- The Ballad of Stana
- Jenny
- I Told You I was Freaky
- Mutha'uckas
- Carol Brown (Stick Around)
- Business Time
- Bus Driver's Song
- We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady >> SugaLumps
- The Humans are Dead
- If You're Into It
- Think About It
- Angels

1 comment:
At least this time your talking about a band I am somewhat familiar with.
Also, the word verification word (from the department of redundancy department) sounds like a new medication. Be sure to ask your doctor if "dizaphel" is right for you.
Post a Comment