Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Death Cab for Cutie - Ryman Auditorium

As I have commented in other posts, I am usually a Johnny-come-lately when it comes to discovering "the next big thing." I like bands with staying power, so many times I don't get into an artist until their third or fourth album. This was the case with Death Cab for Cutie. They played in Nashville during my first semester at Vanderbilt and a few of my students went. I checked out the band's website and really liked "Different Names for the Same Thing." A few months later, Chris Larsen put "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" on his annual compilation album. I realized I had seen the video to this song without knowing who it was. Long story short, I introduced Aimee to Transatlantisism and Plans, which she loved. I told her I would take her to Death Cab the next time they passed through Nashville. I was a bit worried that they may not play since they played Bonnaroo last summer. One of the downsides of Bonnaroo is that a lot of great bands don't come back to play places like Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville. Luckily, I kept an eye on tour dates and saw they would be playing the Ryman. I think I forgot to buy tickets at 10:00 AM, the day they went on sale, so pickings were slim later that afternoon. I couldn't pull two seats together but Aimee said she was willing to go by herself. I bought one ticket, for her but then pulled another single right behind hers. They were technically "obstructed view" seats, but luckily Ben Gibbard performs on the left side of the stage (stage right). It was not that much of a nuisance in my opinion.

The babysitter arrived around 6:00 PM. Aimee and I grabbed a bite to eat at Bread & Company. We arrived to the Ryman soon after the first opener, Ra Ra Riot, performed. We caught Matt Costa's set and then settled into a nice evening of Death Cab. I'm glad I went, but I have to say I prefer their albums to their live show. Aimee made the comment that their stage performance comes across as very intense, while their albums are a bit more laid back. Gibbard's voice was fine, but it would be better if he could stop bouncing around the stage. I know that adds to the magic of live performance, but a shaky voice isn't worth it. Here are the songs they played:

1. The Employment Pages

2. Your Heart is an Empty Room

3. New Year

4. Photobooth

5. Crooked Teeth
6. No Sunlight

7. Company Calls

8. Title Track
9. Grapevine Fires

10. I Will Possess Your Heart

11. I Will Follow You into the Dark

12. Little Bribes

13. Title and Registration

14. Cath...
15. Long Division

16. A Movie Script
Ending
17. Bixby Canyon Bridge


Encore:
18. A Diamond and a Tether

19. Soul Meets Body

20. The Sound of Settling

21. Transatlanticism

Nashville Scene review

No comments: