Sunday, February 7, 2010

Goodbye...Please Come Again

Some of you know, but Aimee miscarried this week. She was ten weeks pregnant but according to the ultrasound, the embryo probably died around week seven since the length was consistent with that time frame. Aimee started to bleed last Sunday morning. She was already scheduled for her first appointment the following day, so they did an ultrasound and determined the embryo had died. It has been a hard week for us all. Monday was my birthday but we did most of the celebrating the previous weekend. I ended up taking the kids to Brick Oven Pizza and we had a nice evening together. There was even a guy there making balloon figures for all the kids. Big Boy got a Darth Vader and Little Girl a princess.

Several plans were postponed and canceled this week, but obviously the most disappointing part is that we were planning on having a baby in August. To be quite honest, I did not feel much of an emotional connection and most of my concern was directed toward Aimee. I did not feel like we had lost a baby; it was just a spontaneous abortion. All of that changed tonight. Aimee passed the gestational sac and she could not bring herself to flush it down the toilet. I looked at that lump of tissue wrapped in a dark red sack. It was hard to distinguish any features of the embryo, but seeing that miscarried baby suddenly made it all real. Now, I realize that miscarriage is quite common, but that does not diminish the disappointment and sadness we feel.

The other night, Big Boy prayed that Heavenly Father would send that person to come to us again. I would like that very much. My prayer is that God will hear the simple request of a six-year-old boy.

(I've disabled comments since I don't want people to feel like they have to say anything. We appreciate your friendship, love, and support. The picture is of a 6 week embryo in the gestational sac.)