It has been a productive week. I have worked every day, coming in before 7:00 AM three days this week and working until normal quitting time. I don't know how many hours I've actually been writing vs. reading and note-taking (and the occasional Hulu break) but I know that I have written a solid 15 pages and taken another 30 pages of notes and comments. I'm sure I've read at least 200 pages of criticism and theory this week as well. My hope is that with a little work tomorrow morning I will be poised to bang out a strong draft of this chapter by the middle of next week. My current chapter calls for a 7-10 page section on the nature of translating poetry as a genre. In order to prepare to write that section I have inadvertently worked a bit on my theory chapter, which takes up the larger issues of translation, in general. In the long run, I may have saved myself some time, but I really wanted to get this chapter out this week. Oh well. The good news is that the next chapter will probably only two weeks.
My goal is to have solid drafts of my four chapters in the hands of my committee chair by the end of June. At this point, I have one chapter in the can, my Neruda chapter in the pipeline, and a third, my theory / context chapter, that is about 1/3 to 1/2 way done. My Borges chapter will need a lot of work. But, my hope is that by writing it last, I will have a better idea of how to approach the work. That one may require two weeks or reading and another week or two of writing.
I have to have my final draft of the thesis turned in by August 31. I know I'm pushing it a bit, especially since my chair wants each committee member to see each chapter before that date, but I think it is doable. Once I have my four chapters written, I will only have to write a 15-page intro and a 15-page conclusion.
Well, I will be back tomorrow, bright and early to put in another four or five hours. At least tonight is family movie night and tomorrow is date night. I have some R&R coming up.
(I think I'll post the occasional thesis update every few days since it looms large in my life right now.)
My goal is to have solid drafts of my four chapters in the hands of my committee chair by the end of June. At this point, I have one chapter in the can, my Neruda chapter in the pipeline, and a third, my theory / context chapter, that is about 1/3 to 1/2 way done. My Borges chapter will need a lot of work. But, my hope is that by writing it last, I will have a better idea of how to approach the work. That one may require two weeks or reading and another week or two of writing.
I have to have my final draft of the thesis turned in by August 31. I know I'm pushing it a bit, especially since my chair wants each committee member to see each chapter before that date, but I think it is doable. Once I have my four chapters written, I will only have to write a 15-page intro and a 15-page conclusion.
Well, I will be back tomorrow, bright and early to put in another four or five hours. At least tonight is family movie night and tomorrow is date night. I have some R&R coming up.
(I think I'll post the occasional thesis update every few days since it looms large in my life right now.)

No comments:
Post a Comment