Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Past Six Months...

...have been kind of stressful.

I spent this weekend in Logan helping my friend Doug paint his basement. We used a paint sprayer and it was hard work, but fun and satisfying. Friday night we sprayed the primer on all the walls, trim, and ceiling. Saturday, we painted two coats on the trim and ceiling, as well as several doors. Other than a few hilarious accidents with the sprayer, one of which resulted in Doug being face-splattered with paint, the project went well. We even had time to hang out, eat some good food, listen to some great music and just have a nice relaxing weekend.

Last night we were talking about everything: music, high school, church, our kids, marriage, guitars, politics, social issues, and work. Doug kindly reminded me that the past six months have been eventful for my family. We moved from Tennessee to Utah in December. I started a new job in January. Daniel started a new school. We had a miscarriage in February. Oh, and we were living in my in-laws' basement this whole time. We bought a place and moved yet again last weekend. It has been an eventful six months. Somehow in this craziness, I have been able to make headway on my dissertation, but I still have a lot of work ahead of me. Wish me luck as I get back into the grind on Monday.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah, you've had a busy few months. We are looking forward to a more calm time as well. I appreciate you helping Doug paint. Cheers to a more peaceful summer :)

HegstromPrattFamily said...

When I was writing my dissertation, my four year old promised me that when he was a teenager, he would help me finish my dissertation. My seven year old freaked out, and said, "she's going to finish it NOW!" I like the idea of spelling "stressed" backwards.

Anonymous said...

What, you guys didn't use the new Behr 2-in-1?

Doug said...

Thanks again, James, it was indeed a busy but enjoyable weekend.

rantipoler said...

I'm going to try to remember that about the word stressed. Just remember that lots of people (i.e. ME) wish they were where you are (i.e. ABD, employed, and a parent).