Friday, April 23, 2010

The Watchword

Last night Aimee and I watched Master and Commander. It reminded me of a song I wrote a few years ago. Here is a demo I recorded in March, 2007.

The Watchword

The watchword, the blood stirred
We sound the call to arms
The storm brews, my heart bruised
The words that cause us harm
I watch her revolver
Unfettered in her hand
Crack fire, burned powder
Heartbroken commands

Shots fall upon deaf ears
I seek safe harbor from the years

Batten down the hatches, waterproof the matches
Tighten down your sails
Flotsam and jetsam, the things we choose to jettison
With no ballast the winds prevail
Strap your colors to the mast, head to wind and break way fast
Reprisal bearing down
Raise a flag of quarantine, yellow upon aquamarine
One shot across your bows

Cannonballs roar breaking through the darkness
Flashes of fire brighten the deep sky
Sabers and pistols, you overtake my vessel

3 comments:

HegstromPrattFamily said...

I love it. It's a beautiful, melancholy melody.

HegstromPrattFamily said...

P.S. We love that movie too.

Ben said...

Yes, melancholy and romantic (as in romanticism). Or maybe the painting is influencing my interpretation. Good stuff though. I salute anyone brave enough to write and record their on music. I tired to write a few things but always threw them out.