Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I should be...

...writing a final for one of my classes
...reading over the finished sections of my Neruda chapter so I can get back to work on it
...doing anything other than playing online

Oh well. The spirit is strong but the flesh is weak...

We bought a house. I am amazed at how smooth the overall process has been. so far I am waiting for somebody to jump out from behind a tree and say, "Just kidding, you really don't qualify for anything bigger than a Cracker Jacks box." Last Wednesday, we made an offer for $10K below the asking price, and asking for the seller to pay for closing costs and to include the fridge. They countered, accepting our requests but holding firm on the price. Seeing as the closing costs would be around $7K, we accepted their counter offer. Now, we are waiting for the inspection and appraisal and then we should be able to close. Our real estate agent has been amazing. Our lender has been easy to work with. I thought buying a house was supposed to be a huge ginormous headache.

We will be moving into the Edgemont area of Provo. It is about three miles north of BYU campus, and across the street from the elementary and high school. Big Boy, however, will be attending another elementary school up the road in order to take part in the bilingual Spanish/English immersion program. Can I tell you how excited I am about this prospect? We are also really excited because our good friends, the Nordstroms, live on the other end of the horseshoe street where the house is. That is one of the reasons why we decided on this area. We also look forward to being in the same ward as Valerie Hegstrom and Dale Pratt, two of my colleagues in the department. I have been a big fan of their awesomeness for years now (granted, not enough to defect to Peninsular studies), but it will be great to get to know them better on a personal and professional level.

Oh, I also turned in the third draft of my chapter on Machado de Assis. Hopefully, my adviser will say it is good enough to send out to the committee. In the meantime, I am back to work on my Neruda chapter.

I should get back to doing the things I should be doing.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Doug told me about your big purchase.. congrats. Although, for me, it was still a bit overwhelming to think of the increase in our debt. oh, and all those times you have to sign your name. that was hard work. :) Anyway, congrats. We're excited for you.

Ben said...

I can see your house on Google Maps now. Congratulations man. I'm hoping that the time will come to get a house in about 5 or 6 years...dang PhD.

In other news, I'm taking a Brazilian Audio & Visual Culture class right now and it's on of my favorite classes of all time.

HegstromPrattFamily said...

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Jared Blanco said...

I wish that we could all just live on the same block. Maybe that's what heaven will be like.

Jim Jiminy said...

...or hell.

rantipoler said...

Congrats on the house! You were very lucky - our process was awful. I think most are. Also, that's very cool about the immersion school.