Monday, June 25, 2012

Christmas in June

[Note: The original plan was to post this list in December, 2011, as in years past. However, the server space I use to host these files was unavailable until last night when I got around to telling my friend Kevin about it. (He is the one and only Forkboy.) I didn't bother him with it earlier this year because he and his wife were in the process of adopting from China. So... better late than never, right?]

I'll be uploading individual tracks in the next day or two, but for now you can download the zip file or you can access the individual tracks here.

1. Star Trek: The Next Generation – Opening Theme 
During 2011 I watched the entire series of Star Trek: The Next Generation, thus the Captain Picard theme of this year’s playlist. I started watching ST:TNG when we lived in Vancouver, WA. I followed the whole series until it ended. I also have fond memories of watching reruns on Channel 13 at 11:00 PM after I came home from my after-school job at Broiler Works. 

2. Let Go – Everest 
Rich Robbins introduced me to this band. He said, “Hey, based on your musical tastes I think you’ll like these guys.” Those may not have been the exact words, but he was correct. They are an up-and-coming band that has gained a lot of traction recently. In fact, they have a new album coming out on June 26. When I first heard “Let Go” I knew I wanted it to be the opening track of this year’s playlist. I love the doubled drums

3. Sing – Travis 
I’ve been meaning to put this song on one of these compilation albums for several years but it always seemed to get cut at the last minute. Well, it finally made it! I love the banjo. I love Fran Healy’s voice. I love the lyrics. And I love the video. 

4. Codes and Keys – Death Cab for Cutie 
When I saw that Death Cab for Cutie was coming to Utah in August 2011, I immediately purchased tickets for Aimee and me. Unfortunately, the show was on the night of the first day of school for the kids and Aimee decided it wouldn’t be the best idea to go. So, I called up my friend, Chris Matteson, and invited him. He has since become one of my concert buddies. The band really impressed me with their live performance of this song. I mean, you would assume that the title track of an album would be decent, right? 

5. Down by the Water – The Decemberists 
Ah, this album was sooo much better than The Hazards of Love. And you know what makes this song great? That’s Peter Buck of R.E.M. on electric guitar. Yeah, I pretty much love everything about this song. It has harmonica, accordion, tight harmonies, an awesome drum beat and—oh yeah—did I mention Peter Buck? How could you not love this song? I was truly bummed when I realized I would be in Brazil when they came to Salt Lake. Boo. Another memory: Brazilian writer Adriana Lisboa and I totally bonded over our mutual love of The Decemberists when she visited Utah early in 2011. 

6. Überlin – R.E.M. 
Well, R.E.M. is no more. If you missed the news, they broke up. Their last album, Collapse into Now, turned out to be a great album. I highly recommend it. I chose this song because it’s a mid-tempo rocker in a minor key with an acoustic guitar and cool harmonies—classic R.E.M. 

7. Golden – The Devil Whale 
Brinton Jones fronts this band. They used to be called Palomino and I remember seeing them at Muse (now Velour) in Provo. It’s been amazing to observe Brinton grow as a songwriter and performer. I hope these guys do well. They are an amazingly talented band.  


8. Out of Time Man – Mick Harvey 
I finally got around to watching Breaking Bad. Wow. This is some of the best television I’ve ever seen: superb acting, engaging storytelling, excellent production and, in this case, mind-blowing soundtracks. When I heard this particular song, I had to pause the show and look it up. Apparently this is a cover of a Mano Negra song. 

9. Tropicalia – Beck 
This is another song I’ve been meaning to include for years. Beck pays homage to the Brazilian artists of the Tropicália movement, especially Os Mutantes. It’s no accident that the title of the album this song comes from is Mutations. Usually when American artists try to mimic this style it ends up sounding like bad elevator music. But somehow Beck pulls it off. 

10. How We Woke Up – The Moth & The Flame 
Last fall I took my friend, Doug Moore, to his first Fictionist show in Logan. One of the opening bands was another local Provo band, The Moth & The Flame. I was impressed with their set; Doug was blown away. A few weeks later, TM&TF released their debut album. I probably should have gone to their CD release show, but I didn’t. But the aforementioned Chris and I did see them play Velour a few weeks back. This is an amazing album and one of the best I’ve ever heard to come out of Utah. Check it out. 

11. Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell – The Flaming Lips 
Speaking of Chris… Yeah, he knows The Flaming Lips. Specifically, he knows Derek Brown who has ascended the ranks in the band from all-around helper to touring guitarist to full-fledged member. Any who, Chris and I got backstage passes when The Flaming Lips came most recently. We hung out with Wayne Coyne preparing laser pointers for that evening’s show. I even got to put on a scarecrow costume and dance on stage with the band. It was an amazing night. We took plenty of pictures and video and I even got a signed set list. They didn’t play this song that night, but it is one of my favorites and I’ve listened to Yoshimi quite a bit this year. (I should also mention that two of the members of The Devil Whale somehow showed up backstage as well.)

12. Rhinoceros – The Smashing Pumpkins 
Gish is twenty years old! Holy craps!! Billy recently released remasters of Gish and Siamese Dream. I almost—almost—chose “Mayonnaise” over “Rhinoceros” but I guess I have been in more of a Gish mood lately. I have to say, the remasters sound amazing. You can really hear the improvement of sound quality in the kick drum. This song has always had a haunting softness to it, even when it turns to noise-rock at the end. 

13. Jive Talkin’ – The Bee Gees 
Don’t ask me why, but I went through a period last summer when I thought The Bee Gees were the greatest band of the 70s. But then I listened to some Zeppelin and came to my senses. BUT, this song stood out as an end-of-year contender and here it is. 

14. Band on the Run – Foo Fighters 
I feel like I should like Foo Fighters more than I do. I loved the first album. Dave Grohl seems like a decent guy. And then I saw him rock this Wings song at The White House, playing for President Obama and Sir Paul McCartney. Listen to it. Watch it. Love it. (Oh, I should mention that Doug included the original Wings version on his 2010 list.) 

15. Whole Love – Wilco 
This is the title track from Wilco’s new album. I saw them in Tempe, AZ in January. Front. Row. Seats. I went with Doug and our friends Seth and Mandi, recent Wilco converts, were also in attendance with some of their friends. They only had sixth row seats. This was my fourth time seeing the band. Today (June 23) will be my fifth time. The show is at Red Butte Gardens this evening. Anyway, I immediately loved this track from the first listen. Then I figured out how to play it on guitar. At first I thought it was in some open tuning. Nope, just Dropped-D. Love, love, love the falsetto. If this is dad rock then sign me up for more. 

16. Strangers in the Dark – Fictionist 
Remember that Fictionist show in Logan? Right. I saw them again the following week in Salt Lake with Chris and another friend, Cristina. The Devil Whale were the openers for this show. Last summer Fictionist signed with Atlantic and then released an eponymous e.p. I really like the songs on it, but I chose a track off their sophomore effort, Lasting Echo. (I have since seen them twice since that show and the lead guitarist, Robbie Connolly, moved into our ward. Yeah, we have a rock star in our ward. I’ve even jammed with him! They are currently recording their debut full-length Atlantic release with Ron Aniello (Springsteen, Wrecking Ball) here in Provo at June Audio.) 

17. She – Grand Avenue 
I’m not even sure where I heard this song but it was one of those moments when the power and beauty of the song overwhelmed me. I know nothing about this band and that’s okay. I want to maintain the mystery and elegance of this singular musical moment. 

18. Love is Blindness – The Edge 
Another album turned twenty this year—Achtung Baby!, which is easily my favorite U2 album. It was practically the soundtrack to my adolescence and it will always evoke certain emotions. The band re-released the album in a deluxe package that included four CDs of bonus tracks (remixes, demos, b-sides), a book, and two DVDs. One of the DVDs was the documentary, From the Sky Down, which included this acoustic performance. I highly recommend watching it if you have the chance. The director, Davis Guggenheim, also did It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White.

No comments: