1. La Valse d’Amélie – Yann Tiersen
I’m not sure when or how I first heard about Amélie but I am
fairly confident we checked it out from the Orem library the first time we
watched it. What I love about this opening theme is the whimsy but also the
underlying melancholy. Yes, whimsical melancholy. That describes this piece as
well as the film, and maybe even my life.
At some point while at Vanderbilt I read that Jason
Schwartzman had played drums in a band. I picked up The Guest, which also contains the breakthrough hit, “California,”
which became the theme song to the O.C.
3. No One’s Better Sake – Little Joy
If you’ve been listening to past compilations then you know
I’m a fan of the Brazilian group, Los Hermanos. Rodrigo Amarante, guitarist and
vocalist for that band, formed another band with The Strokes drummer Fabrizio
Moretti and Binki Shapiro. I love how
the happy summer bounce of the music contrasts the lyrics that describe a failing relationship. I love this line: “When I worry about smoke instead of
putting out the fire.”
4. Um Canto de Afoxé para o Bloco do Ilê (Ilê Ayê)– Caetano Veloso
I didn’t really fall in love with Caetano Veloso until our trip to Portugal in 2004. My friend Quinn had a two-CD anthology of his music that we listened to non-stop. Consequently, this song evokes images of the Portuguese countryside and not of Brazilian beaches. I love the Afro-Brazilian rhythms and a cappella choir. The song is a tribute for Bloco Carnavalesco Ilê Aiyê, one of the preeminent Afro-Brazilian samba schools in Salvador, Bahia. The name, Ilê Aiyê, is Yoruba for “casa de negros” or “house of blacks,” which refers to the fact that it is an all black samba school. Here are the lyrics with a rough English translation. (The lyrics are way cooler in Portuguese. The English make them sound trite.)
Como você é bonito de se ver (How beautiful you are to look upon)
Que beleza mais bonita de se ter (What lovely beauty to have)
Sua beleza se transforma em você (Your beauty is transformed in you)
Que maneira mais feliz de viver (What a happy way to live)
5. Hang Loose – Alabama Shakes
Chris Matteson first introduced me to this band while we
were waiting for a Fictionist show. And then my friend Doug pointed me to their
cover of “How Many More Times.” I was hooked. That girl can sing!
6. Djorolen – Béla Fleck & Oumou Sangare
Sometime over the summer I watched Throw Down Your Heart on Netflix. I highly recommend it. This song,
in particular, won me over. The lyrics are quite poetic, even in English:
The worried songbird cries out in the forest.
The worried songbird, her thoughts go far away.
For those of us who have no father, her thoughts go out to them.
7. True Love Will Find You in the End – Wilco
Most people have never heard of outsider artist Daniel Johnston
but I’m willing to bet you’ve seen his “Hi, How Are You” drawing made famous by
a t-shirt Kurt Cobain wore. I recommend watching The Devil and Daniel Johnston to learn more about this brilliant
yet troubled artist. Also, the compilation The Late Great Daniel Johnston:Discovered Covered serves as a fantastic introduction to his music. It also
includes a disc of covers by well-known artists, such as, Death Cab for Cutie,
Beck, Guster, The Flaming Lips, Vic Chesnutt, and even Tom Waits. Wilco’s cover
of this beautiful song appeared as a b-side on their single, “A Shot in the
Arm.”
8. Oh My Love – John Lennon
I grew up listening to The Beatles. I owned a best-of Lennon
CD but for whatever reason I was unfamiliar with this magnificent song. I’m
sure I had heard it before but a few years aog I (re)discovered it at a point
when the message resonated with me.
9. Other Side – Pearl Jam
Jeff Ament, the bass player, wrote this song. I have no idea
what it’s about but I love the music, the poetic, almost impressionistic
lyrics, the chord changes, the harmonies, and the guitar tones. It’s nice to
know that PJ can write and play tender tunes.
10. God – Tori Amos
When I was 16 I had a huge crush on Tori Amos and Under the
Pink was under heavy rotation. It’s hard to admit that the refrain “God
sometimes you just don’t come through” seems more like the rule rather than the
exception. How awesome are those guitars that sound like seagulls crying?
11. You Oughta Know – Alanis Morissette
Unlike Tori, I can’t say I ever had a crush on Alanis. I’m
not even sure how this song made it onto my list but you have to admit it’s catchy.
And that’s Flea laying down the funky bass. Dave Navarro, who was part of the
Peppers at the time, provides guitar.
12. Heart Beat – The New Electric Sound
Provo is producing some amazing bands these days. I saw
these guys open up for Fictionist this summer and picked up their album. The
video is pretty cool. Very cinematic.
13. Cut Me Some Slack – Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney fronting the remaining members of Nirvana?
Yeah, it sounds like the punch line of a bad joke. But it happened and for
whatever reason it works. I’d like to see them do some more. Just look at how
happy Pat Smear is to be playing with Macca and his buddies on SNL.
14. Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mack
For about a week this summer I listened to nothing but
Rumours. And sometimes relationships are complicated. I guess that’s all I have
to say about that.
15. She’s a Rainbow – The Rolling Stones
A few weeks ago I was driving up to Salt Lake and was forced
to listen to the radio since I left my iPod at home. NPR and KRCL are about the
only things I can listen to on the radio these days. Nothing good was on the
former so I settled on the later. This song came on and I thought, “That’s
going on my list.”
16. Into Temptation – Crowded House
I was introduced to Crowded House in 1996 when I heard “Not
the Girl You Think You Are” and swore that was Lennon singing. I picked up
Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House and learned that I knew several
of their tunes, including “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” Once, while sitting on my
bed and playing “Into Temptation” on my guitar, Jacob Jenkins crept up behind
me and scared the bejeebus out of me. True story.
17. Hairshirt – R.E.M.
I was recently reminded of the simple beauty of this song
when Glen Hansard performed it on Jimmy Fallon. I was going to put the cover on
but couldn’t find a high-quality version. But you can watch it here. I love the
descending mandolin and the repeating bass line. Michael Stipe is a poet.
18. Place to Be – Nick Drake
I don’t tell too many people about Nick Drake. I like to
keep his music to myself and only share it with those who will appreciate the
stark beauty of his songs. I learned how to play it this fall and
my life is better for it.
19. DEFCON 5 – Book on Tape Worm
Few concerts have moved me as much as the release show for
this CD. Halfway through I looked over at my buddy and he had tears streaming
down his cheeks. For an hour and a half we experienced heaven on earth. If you
live in Utah and love experiencing the magic of live music, make an effort to
see BOTW. Also, check out "Shadow Puppets."
20. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins
I picked up Oceania and gave it two or three listens. I've tried really hard to remain faithful to the band that made some amazing music in the early and mid-90s but The Smashing Pumpkins, to me, are Billy, James, D'Arcy, and Jimmy. This year saw the remastered release of MCIS and this is one of the bonus tracks on it. I thought it a fitting end to this playlist.
I'll let Jeff Tweedy, Mavis Staples, Sean Lennon, and the Harlem Gospel Choir take us out.
20. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins
I picked up Oceania and gave it two or three listens. I've tried really hard to remain faithful to the band that made some amazing music in the early and mid-90s but The Smashing Pumpkins, to me, are Billy, James, D'Arcy, and Jimmy. This year saw the remastered release of MCIS and this is one of the bonus tracks on it. I thought it a fitting end to this playlist.
I'll let Jeff Tweedy, Mavis Staples, Sean Lennon, and the Harlem Gospel Choir take us out.
.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment