Here is what the Church has recently said about same-gender attraction and some of the complex issues that surround it. I'm placing these links here for your benefit so that you can edu-ma-cate yourself when talking to other members or friends about our church's current stance on homosexuality.
- God Loveth His Children - "This message is intended for Latter-Day Saints who are troubled with same-gender attraction and sometimes feel discouraged but sincerely desire to live a life pleasing to our Father in Heaven." pdf / html
- "Helping Those with Same-Gender Attraction" - an Oct. 2007 Ensign article written by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
- Here is an official statement by the Church regarding homosexuality. It is an interview with Elders Oaks and Wickman. (I'm not sure of the exact date of when it was released but it was sometime in 2007.)

4 comments:
Welcome back! How was the fast?
I agree with your comment about being understanding and respectful. I just read the parable of the sheep and goats in Matthew 25:
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
I've known many gays and lesbians, some LDS and some not (most of them former LDS). I believe those who are straight can have no idea of the suffering, isolation, and burden they feel, especially if they are struggling to remain within the embrace of their religious community.
Personally, I think we who shun others because of their same sex attraction, especially in the name of our religion, whatever that may be, will have a lot to account for. To me, gays and lesbians fall squarely within the words of this parable.
Thunder Chicken - I'm still 'fasting' - kinda. I just popped in for a second.
Nice reply, Dad. Thanks for your comments.
Wow. I got to about the middle of the Public Affairs interview and just could not read it anymore. The question about how a parent should deal with their children it the child has a partner is so ridiculous and sad. Is it really the HARDEST decision a parent would have to make? Are you kidding me? What if your child was a murderer. Or murdered? Or joined a cult? Or was found to be a wife beater? To me all of those are way worse things to have to face. I'm sorry but it was just so incredibly difficult to read. Thank you for the links though. It was definitely enlightening.
Post a Comment